Portland → Port Townsend: Aug. 15 - 20, 2010
Port Townsend → Portland: Aug. 28 - Sept. 3, 2010
The BP Protest Ride was a 450-mile bike trip taken in protest of the 2010 BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill. I wanted to see if it was possible and worthwhile to be an extreme environmentalist and was also curious about what being green meant to different people.
While millions of gallons of crude oil flowed into the gulf, I had to go to Port Townsend, Washington for a week-long college residency. Normally I would have carpooled or taken public transportation. Instead I thought, “Why not just ride my bike?”
- Not using a car to get where I’m going
- Take action instead of be angry or indifferent
- Sparking conversations about corporate influence
- Exploring and discovering new ways of doing things
- Experiencing and learning
The entire trip happened rather quickly, and the bike travel sandwiched a busy college residency, which led to a busy semester. I discovered is that it is possible to go green, but it’s not easy... yet.